Recital can be a stressful part of the year. Here are some helpful tips to keep you and your child calm and prepared for anything.
11. Stay Calm! A positive attitude will help your dancer stay calm. Children can pick up on our stress levels.
22. Be prepared. Get everything ready a few days before the recital.
A few days before the recital
11. Make a list of everything they need, costume, shoes, tights, hair pieces, etc.
22. Get all parts of their costume ready.
33. Take their costume out of the bag and make sure it doesn’t look wrinkled. (Do not use an iron on costumes. Tutus and other costumes can be steamed in a steamy bathroom or with a laundry steamer.) If your child is in more than one dance: check the show order, put costumes in order of performance. Teachers and Staff will help dancers with costume changes. Have your dancer wear a nude colored leotard underneath their costumes, it makes costume changes more comfortable.
44. Check to make sure you have the shoes needed.
55. Hair pieces are included in the costume bag. Each class has a specific hair style. Please make sure you know how they are to wear their hair. Remember to use hair gel and hairspray. A hairnet for buns is a great tool.
66. Tights. Please wear the tights we included in their bags. Typically, it’s pink tights for Ballet and Tan (Carmel) tights for Jazz.
77. Label everything. i.e. on the tag inside the costume and inside the shoes. Many young girls in the same classes are the same size.
88. Makeup. For younger dancers: blush and lip gloss is enough. For older dancers: foundation, blush, neutral browns eye shadow, mascara, classic red lipstick.
99. Pack their dance bag:
-A water bottle, snacks, (no sticky, messy kinds), etc.
-A few quiet games, such as a coloring book, stuffed animal, or deck of cards will help them quietly pass the time while they are waiting to perform.
110. Make sure your child is rested. A little extra sleep before the recital will go a long way.
111. Check the address of the recital. Get directions if you need them. South Hills Middle School, 13508 S. 4000 W. Riverton, UT. Make sure you know how long it will take you to get to the school.
The day of the Recital
11. Make sure dancers go to the bathroom before you get ready.
2. Relax. Keep in mind your dancer will be excited and anxious, as will you. Try to relax and enjoy this special night in your dancer's life.
3. Ask for help! We are here to help you and your dancer. Our teachers and staff have lots of experience with performing.
4. Have fun! This is what we have been working towards, so enjoy it!